Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Highly Anticipated/Dreaded Fall Party

As I arrived at school yesterday, I noticed that the children were a little more alive/out of control. I thought it was because of the Fall Party scheduled for later in the day. As we began class, I asked who had been trick or treating so far? About half of the class raised their hands. Then I asked who had eaten candy? About five admitted to eating candy for breakfast. No wonder they were so hyped. The day zoomed by quickly and their activities and volume escalated to a feverish pitch. At the time I could stand it no more, the party was ready to begin with parents AND siblings. At least half of the children brought something to share, so their plates were overflowing with iced cookies, candy, gum, and SUGAR. There were colored sprinkles all over the new carpet along with green punch spilled. I had to resort to blowing the whistle, literally, when it was time to clean up so that they could hear me over the noise. After the third blow they calmed to a low roar and began stuffing leftover candy, cookies and toys in their bags and prepared to go home. I knew that their parents would be so proud of them and their behavior as they arrived home for the evening. And I did not contribute one bite of sugar.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home