Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sleep Disturbances by Noisy Birds

I'm arising, groggy, unrested this morning, even though I slept till 7:00. It all started at 1:00 a.m. I heard that distinctive chirp of an unwelcomed bird, a smoke detector. Ugh! Hubby's gone on a road trip leaving me to deal with it. Okay, the chirps are far between, I'll just leave it alone. After all, the ceilings are over 10 feet 6 inches high in our house. I'll never be able to reach the smoke detector. But, oh no, there goes that chirp again, and I think it could be louder. I drag myself out of bed, stand poised in the living room to listen to determine is it the one in the living room, or on the stairwell. As I waited an eternity, it finally chirped again. Sounded like the stairwell one, so I attack it and remove the battery. As I crawled back into my now cold bed, I smile, satisfied that I have taken care of the problem only to hear the chirp sound again! Must have been the living room one. To muffle the sound, I close my bedroom door hoping to quiet it enough to allow me to sleep. I have a big day ahead of me Sunday. It has to be getting louder and faster. I can't stand it one chirp longer as I get out of bed again, dig out the large step-ladder, position it below the smoke detector in the living room and decide to use the plastic tongs from the toaster to reach that last foot. By stretching I am able to spring open the trap door. But maybe I should attempt to remove the battery. Yeah, with a little more of a stretch I was able to separate the battery. I'm tired, groggy, and decide to just deal with putting the ladder away much later or even letting hubby fix the smoke detector before putting it away. I crawl back into bed, happy that I had finally taken action, finally dismantled the stupid bird, when CHIRP! It has to be the one in our bedroom! I roll out of bed, stomp in for the ladder and repeat the process one more time. I'm so mad it is a wonder that I didn't dismantle the whole gadget this time. Success! I've killed the right bird this time. But alas, it is 4:30 now, and I am wide-awake. I toss and turn, telling myself I can go back to sleep, I need to go back to sleep, stop thinking and go back to sleep. Well, I must have until awakened at 7:00 by a phone call from hubby to check in with me. I was sure that noise could not be another smoke detector because all of them downstairs had been stripped of their voices. Oh, well, it is time to get up to begin my long, busy day. My only solace will be if two or three of the detectors were chirping last night and not just the stupid one just 6 feet over and 10 feet up.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home