Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hubby Is the Head of the Data Base

Went to see my ENT doctor today. Since I have not been to his office in years, and they have a new system, I had to be entered as a new patient. The receptionist asked for my husband's name, which I didn't think was too out of the ordinary. But here is how the rest of the conversation went. Receptionist: I need your husband's social security number. Me: I don't know it. Rec: I need to have your husband's number. Me: I still don't know it. Rec: Would your doctor's office have it? Me: No, he doesn't go to the same doctor as me. Rec: (Sitting, not typing, looking at me) I can't go on until I have your husband's information. Me: But the insurance is in my name. I am the carrier, not him. Rec: Yes, I know that, but I must enter you under your husband because this system must be set up with the husband as the head of the household. Me: That's a little archaic, isn't it? (I call hubby on the phone to get his soc. #, promising to explain it all later. I then hand the number to the Rec.) Rec: I see that you owe a co-pay. I'll collect that now. Me: Okay. (I dutifully write out the check.) Rec: (Hands me a receipt written in my husband's name.) Me: (I keep my cool and hold my tongue. After all, the Receptionist just works here.) Thank you. Okay, do you see a problem with this? Since when do I have to have my husband, who does not carry his own insurance, entered into a data base so that I can be seen by an ENT who has been my doctor for more than 30 years? No, I don't get it either.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home