Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Have a Piece of Birthday Cake

Yesterday was my birthday. I am approaching the big 60, but that is fine with me since the alternative is not living. My class spread the word at school yesterday morning so I was wished a happy one and sung to by many of the children in the school. For my birthday treat I brought in fruit cake for the children to taste. Months earlier they had said that they had never tasted it and were interested in knowing what it was. All morning long they waited with salivating anticipation until lunch had been consumed. When they could wait no more, I sliced the cake into small pieces for each to try. The treat was accepted with expected responses--gagging, running to the waist basket, spitting out the cake, ugly faces, and words of disgust. One boy said it was like eating the bark of tree, a pine tree. Later he said that it was like the fruit cake paralyzed his tongue. Needless to say, the children did not like the cake, well, except for one girl who ate 4 small pieces. We decided that since we had some leftovers, we should share with one of the other fourth grade classes. (Just imagine, one pound of cake fed 41 people.) I cut the remaining cake into small bites and took it to the teacher, Linda, who was celebrating her 1/2 birthday. She gladly accepted and shared the fruit cake with her class. My class waited with glee at our door anticipating gags and groans to float from that room. My kids were not disappointed. Then Linda invited all of us in to see their reactions. One boy berated me for playing such a dirty trick on them. (No one made them eat cake.) Only the teacher enjoyed the treat. Her father was a mail carrier and always brought home literally tons of the cake from his route, which she willingly ate. It will probably be months before any of the children trust my contributions. I can't wait to give my granddaughter a piece of my birthday cake.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home