Thursday, December 7, 2006

Interpreting songs

As a sign language interpreter at church, I have numerous opportunities to interpret. It is always a challenge to do Christmas hymns. In order to translate words into signs, you must first know what the word means. For instance, the start of one song says, "Hark, the herald Angel sings..." Hark means to listen, herald is not the angel's name but means announcing. So the song is signed, "Listen, the announcing angel sings". "The First Noel, the angels did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay..." would be translated, "The first Christmas, the angels said was to assure poor shepherds in fields as they rest." This is only the beginning of our pain as interpreters. The rest of you get to sing, on key or off key, never giving another thought to what any of the words mean. I'll be pleased when Christmas songs have past.

1 Comments:

Blogger E. McPan said...

Sometimes I wonder what I'm actually signing whenever I attempt to interpret for my siblings. They must think I'm mentally ill and they just put up with me, because I make up signs left and right. So...I wouldn't worry about the Christmas songs.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home