Saturday, December 2, 2006

Staying overnight at Grandma's

I had the great pleasure of keeping my granddaughter overnight last night. I could blog for days about the cute things she has done in just a short time, but I'll just give a few. As her mother walked out the door, "Toots" wanted to hold the hot pad gloves that are made out of that new-fangled stuff that look like rubber. They are green and look like long mittens. As she put them on (they reached almost to her shoulders) she declared, "I cook!" We didn't. As the evening progressed, she asked me to read to her. She selected a few books, about 15, and climbed up beside me on the loveseat. She allowed me to read the first few pages, then turned to the back of the book and proceeded from back to front. She pretended to read, complete with expression and appropriate pauses. Later in the evening, she pushed her chair into the living room (we have hardwood floors, but I guess those scratches aren't that important) and asked me to bring in her desk so she could color. Her idea of coloring is to use her Crayola WASHABLE markers to mark solidly on the front of the coloring book as well as all over her desk top. Hope that desk is washable. As I talked her into going to bed, she wanted to feed the indoor cat, Pepe', who is not that fond of Toots. She found him in his window seat and demanded that he "come on!" Pepe' was not impressed. So I showed her the trick of rattling his cat food to interest him in coming, and he did. I swear he has gained 3 pounds since she has learned to feed him. We crawled into my bed, without a nightlight because we old people don't need one, and I realized it was a bit dark, especially when she was feeling for my face so she could continue to TALK to Mimi. A few times of those little fingers up my nose should have been a clue to get that nightlight turned on promptly. But I didn't. She kept calling the cat to come sleep with us, but he didn't. Smart cat. We made it through the night without incidence, AND she is still sleeping. Hope the cat doesn't decide he wants seconds so that he climbs on the bed to awaken her, knowing she will heap his bowl for a few more pounds. Being a grandma...there's nothing like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home