Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Pigs, Pioneers, and Popcorn

Yes, I am excited because the Indiana State Fair begins tomorrow! Did you know that the fair is the sixth oldest in USA? (A little fourth grade trivia.) This is the fair's 150 year celebration. I try earnestly to attend at least once each year. I so enjoy visiting the Pioneer Village, the displays in the Manufacturer's Building, the displays by adults in the Home and Family Arts Building, the flowers and vegetables of the Horticulture Building, riding the shuttle, and just walking around. We saw a calf born last year. Thought my teenaged niece and nephew were going to throw up. They are not too fond of walking through the pig barn, but I love it no matter how hot. Back in the 80s, as an adult, I entered a dress review with an outfit I had made. Didn't receive any placing, but have the satisfaction of being chosen to represent my county at the State Fair. My brother entered photography and an ugly lamp a few years back. Just having the photos shown is an honor. He had 3 of 4 on display. So glad he was able to fulfill his dream before ALS took him from us. Because of the early start of school and a last-minute vacation, I may not get to go to the fair until the next to last or even last day. Hope they still have lemon shake-ups and funnel cakes. Doubt if I try the newest deep fried food this year. The twinkie was terrible a few years ago. Like eating sweet bread soaked in lard. The caramel corn is always good as is the grilled corn. Oh, this is making me very hungry so I best stop talking or I will drool on my keyboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home