Saturday, July 29, 2006

THE Adventure with Father

You will remember on my last post that I anticipated an adventure with taking my father to have x-rays of his broken leg. Also I was under the assumption that we would be in and out quickly BECAUSE he was having x-rays only. Wrong! We were told to go see the doctor, but in his new office across the hospital parking lot. In the 90 decree heat, not wanting to transfer my dad from wheelchair to car, car to wheelchair, wheelchair to the office, I said I would just wheel him across. The director of hospital operations volunteered to do that so I could move our vehicle. We arrived in a new medical building, in an office used by visiting doctors who see patients only one day a week in the office. I signed my father in and was immediately told that we had to go to the hospital for x-rays. The receptionist and I bantered back and forth, she insisting that we had to do it now, me insisting that we had just done it, 10 minutes before now. Finally, she comprehended what I was saying and let us find a seat in the already-full waiting room. My dad is not shy nor does he have any tact. Whatever he thinks, he says, loudly. So the three hour wait to see the doctor for 5 minutes consisted of dad making comments about the wait, quoting scripture, declaring who is going to hell, quoting poetry about a drunkard riding the hell-bound train, commenting about other patients in the room, declaring himself starving, pushing his talking watch every 5 minutes to hear what time is was, etc. Those who know my dad know that he likes to create controversy and thoroughly enjoys showing off. We call it being frisky, but with no sexual overtones. I repeatedly told him to "behave" but I might as well have been saying GO. By the time we met with the doctor, I was exasperated. As the doc examined and questioned my dad about the cast, dad questioned the doctor about where a person's soul goes upon death. Being kind, the doctor answered only to have dad ask another unanswerable Bible question. I stepped in and said the doctor was too busy to carry on a conversation. (After all we had waited 3 hours!) I'm sure I heard a sigh of relief from the doc. God told us to be a peculiar people (I Peter 2:9, Deuteronomy 14:2, 26:18 KJV). Dad has obeyed that command fully.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

An adventure, indeed.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home