Thursday, July 17, 2008

Photo Book Adventure

If you know me, you know that I am not very techno. Just ask my daughter H or my hubby. I am always asking them to help me do something with the digital camera, my cell phone or the computer. So it was out of character for me to go to the local CVS to make a photo book from my digital SD card without either one of them with me. My goal was to make a photo book of my nieces showing their cows at the 4-H fair and give it to my sister-in-law. The photo lab technician was friendly and somewhat helpful, but was the only one manning the cash register, so was interrupted in helping me maneuver through the steps to make the book. At one point she said it was easy, just follow the steps. I began selecting the pictures I wanted for the 10 page book. Before I had gone too far, she came back to help and suggested that I could edit the pictures. She quickly did one for me, and it was so much better. BUT, you cannot go back to the pictures already chosen to edit once you select them, because if you do, you have no idea which pics you have now selected. At one point, after clicking DONE 5 times for each picture edited, I accidentally clicked DONE when I had not edited. Oops. That ended the whole program and was ready for me to print. Help!!! No icon to select previous page nor icon for I goofed. Alas, I had to start the whole process over again. When busy helpful photo lab lady came back to me, she was a little annoyed with me for the first of many times. (In fact, I'm sure she wanted to scream, "Where's your husband?") After much toiling, I was ready to select done for the last time. I asked photo lady how I select the collage pages of the book, like the one she had as a sample. She had this terrible look on her face and this pregnant pause before she said I should have selected the icon that told me to do that. I assured her that although I am stupid when it comes to technology, I can read and did listen as the voice told me exactly what to do. At no time did it tell me to choose the collage. Frustrated, she rounded the counter to try to help me without starting all over again. I won't bore you with the hour-long process, but will say that when she tried to help me, she realized that there was not an icon to tell me what to do to select the collage pages. She fixed it by helping me manually (is there such a thing as manual when you are using a computer generated program?) choose the four pictures I wanted per page and scramble them to fit the way I wanted. I left the store with my claim ticket and a promise that the photo book would be done in 3 to 4 hours. Photo lab lady called me in one hour to say the book was done, not good, I didn't have to accept it, or I could purchase it for half price. I picked it up, was pleased and paid half price. Without overall instructions to tell us how to do it, it wasn't that bad. I'm tempted to try it again with my son's wedding pictures that I took at rehearsal and the wedding. Maybe I can mess it up again and get it for half price.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home