Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Day at a Sled Dog Kennel

After flying over the mountains in Alaska, we ventured to the bush land of the state. We traveled a ways, as you always must do in Alaska, to a small gas station/gift shop/restaurant to eat a bite and wait for Jody and Matt Calore to take us to their sled dog kennels. When we finally met, we followed them up a remote road that eventually became a dirt road. We knew we had to park and take the last mile and a half by means of a snowmobile. When we crossed the frozen marsh and "over the river and through the woods" we arrived at their cabin, complete with the dog yard in their backyard. I was surprised to see the dogs chained to posts that allowed full-circle adventure and a house per each dog only OUTSIDE, right on top of the snow and ice. I don't know what I was expecting, but again, I was surprised. As the dogs echoed their excitement at seeing Jody and Matt, she took me around to meet and hear a brief bio of each dog. Most were excited to jump up on my borrowed parka and greet me. We were amazed at their strength and how lean each appeared. The dogs that had just finished running the Iditarod 2008, had a medallion hanging from their collars that signified their authenticity to be in the race. The dogs are not all huskies nor malamutes. Many of them looked like mutts, crossbreeds of many breeds. Some had the unusal blue eyes while others had brown eyes. I met one who had one blue eye and a horizontally divided upper blue and lower brown eye. Jody said that the dogs' eyes can also be divided vertically with one side blue and the other brown. That was so weird to see. One dog hung on my arm like it were a horizontal fence. I thought I would be knocked down because of its strength. A few of the other dogs Jody shielded me from because of their strength and my inexperience. But when one jumped up and caught my nose, lip, and mouth with its front toenails, I decided I would end the meet and greet. Not sure how much dog doo doo and yellow liquid were on that paw and were transfered to my mouth, but with the help of a wet wipe, I did survive. I met some dogs that are decendants of Martin Buser's kennel. Martin has won the Iditarod 4 times. The author Gary Paulsen is a friend of theirs and has been to their cabin. No wonder he can write books like Hachett that seem so realistic. He too, is a committed musher and runs the Iditarod. Upon entering the one-room cabin we were in awe of how simplictic the couple lives. No water, no bathroom, no appliances, no electricity, only a wood burner that doubles as the cooking range. And this is their home all year! Jody assured us that all was fine because their money was invested in the daily care of the dogs, exactly as it should be. They had the very basics, not essententials, but were able to live happily and compete in the Iditarod as well as other races. Jody did work on a computer, but they did not have internet hookup in the area. However, their cell phones and ours worked everywhere! I was so astounded with the reception. Jody and Matt continued their tutorial of a mushers life with pictures, race momentoes, stories, and a slide presentation of this year's race. We were given several items to bring home and share with others, as well as web sites such as Jody's blog. When it was time to return to civilization, we came away with a greater appreciation and understanding of the sport and the dogs. I'm sure Jody and Matt's intent was to help spread their love of the sport though common folk like us.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home