Saturday, November 26, 2005

Waiting In Line

By 6:12 a.m. on the day after Thanksgiving, we were on the road to the big city, eager to obtain the bargains listed in the ads. My list was fairly long with things that would be useful not only as Christmas presents, but as personal items. First stop was a fabric store. If nothing else, I needed to buy flannel material for making diapers for Haiti. My daughter and I quickly found several bolts of double nap flannel in cute baby prints and headed for the already elongated line waiting for cutting of material. It was then that I encouraged my husband and daughter to go to another store of interest for them. While in line, waiting and waiting, I struck up a conversation with a couple of ladies in front of me. One gal was purchasing several pieces to make blankets for foster children. Her church had begun the ministry and she was the head of the service project. It was fun and informative to discuss and exchange sewing stories, tips, supply sources, and more. I was afforded the opportunity to detail our service ministry for sewing diapers for Haiti. Two ladies ahead of us were buying quantities of yardage from numerous bolts. I could hear the restless undertones behind me. The murmurs narrowed to dissatisfaction in having to wait behind them. I felt it necessary to share (in a very nice way) with those closest behind me that the two ladies were indeed buying volumes of material, but to be used to make lap robes, blankets and such for nursing home patients. Not another discouraging word was heard, even when one lady's whole shopping cart of bolts had to be remeasured because the machine failed to print out the ticket. During my wait in line for the cutting of the material and the wait in line for checkout, my husband and daughter were able to visit four stores, stop at the bank, and return as I approached the cash register. Now mind you, at all but one of the stores the lines were sooooo long that they were not able to buy. In fact at one store's early business hours, the parking lot was full and overflowing to the street preventing them from entering the store. They did not feel short-changed by my wait. My 2 hour and 45 minute wait in line was not so bad after all. I successfully purchased 75 yards of flannel at 75% to 80% off and boldly shared our service ministry with others. "...If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." I Peter 4:11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home