Saturday, September 12, 2009

Oh Where Is Our Garden?

My fourth grade class from last year planted 6 cabbages in our outdoor classroom last spring. Since we don't have school over the summer, we never met to take care of them. And we have been busy with the start of school so far this fall. I finally got a chance to take my class outside yesterday. I was explaining how the classroom was developed, what each part was, and then began showing them the garden plots. When I spied one of the cabbages easily, I decided to look for the others. I found 4 large heads that were good and one rotten one. The kids helped pick and carry them in. I weighed them at home and the biggest tipped the scale at 9 pounds. What is amazing about this is that they were in thick weeds. I've tried to grow cabbage before at home and had difficulty. Guess the key is plant and abandon. It worked last year for the tomatoes also. We had a wonderful crop. Pictures to follow soon.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home