Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Competition Reveals Sore Loser

We kept our granddaughter overnight Mon. and all day yesterday. Let me say without shame, I'm exhausted! I try to be engaged with her for most of the time we have her. She stayed up late Mon. night and I feared she would pop up her head at 5:30 am when I normally get up. But she must have been tired because she slept in till 7. After Papa left for work, we spent the morning wrapping his Christmas gifts. Hope she can keep a secret! Not! As the day progressed, we decided to play Memory Game that she received last year. I narrowed down the pairs of matches to begin with until we worked our way up to 11 pair. She was very good at the game from the start. I tried to teach her some strategies such as try to find the one that you know matches the apple before you turn over the apple that was just revealed. She picked up on that after a time. In the beginning, she was helpful to tell Mimi where the matching card was, but soon became more competitive. I didn't always find the matches that I could have, so she won the game many times. But when I did win, she was very angry. So, a lesson on attitude, sportsmanship, and being a gracious loser was needed. Let's say she didn't learn that easily. At one point in the game, when all was going well, she hit the table and uttered an expletive! Shocked me. I reminded her that she should not say things like that and that Jesus didn't want her to say those words. She retorted that Jesus didn't want her mommy and daddy to say those words either. Always the competitor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home