Saturday, September 20, 2008

Marshmallows Roasting on an Open Fire

We are keeping the granddaughter, Toots, for the weekend while her parents are at a statewide meeting and fancy ball. Toots has been anticipating this visit for a long time. We spent the evening outside last night, enjoying the patio, koi pond, her huge swing set, tricycle, wagon, and fire pit. She tends to be a bit hyper, okay, she is hyper, so she goes from one thing to the next in rapid succession. We built the roaring fire and immediately she wanted to toast the marshmallows. Waiting is such a hard concept for her. So as the evening wore on and she enjoyed all the activities over and over again, she kept asking if it were time to roast the marshmallows. When it was finally time, she and I sat on the logs around the pit as she toasted two marshmallows at a time. She patted my arm and said, "I'm really good at roasting marshmallows, ain't I Mimi?" Yes, she was because she didn't burn any. As we ate the first of what I thought would be many, she gave all the appropriate ummms and ahhhs. But soon said, "I don't really like the marshmallows burned (toasted). I just like them plain." Wish I had known that before I built the raging fire and waited till it was just right. But it was worth it all to spend the evening with her.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home