Thursday, July 20, 2006

Tranfer Disc

With my father's broken leg, he had great difficulty transferring from one chair to the wheelchair or scooter. I thought of using a disc similar to a lazy susan to help turn him, thus keeping the twisting off of his good knee. Not knowing of the existence of this product, I began making calls to find one. A local pharmacy that specializes in medical equipment took the search further and found a disc, a transfer disc. Only it was a problem because of the $87 cost and 2-3 days to get it to us. I ordered it anyway. As I told my father it would be a few days, I noticed the large yellow pages telephone book I had laid on the floor. I got the notion to try it as a disc. It worked wonderfully, didn't slide on the carpet, and provided the slow speed needed in making the turn. We found a good alternative till the disc arrived. The transfer disc is remarkable. It should be touted to the elderly, the hospitals, nursing homes, and all who could benefit. We used it while taking my father to the hospital to receive his cast. The disc allowed for easy and safe transfer for him (and us as caregivers) for all the times we had to move him. Please pass this info about the transfer disc on to someone who could use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home