Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Round Numbers Mean Zeros!

At school yesterday, I taught the designated power standard in math which was rounding numbers to the nearest 10. To all who are reading this, that skill is a no brainer. You do not have to think about it. It just comes naturally. Well....it does not come naturally at first to many of the students. After just six problems, it was evident who needs in-depth teaching and who has it. During this week, I will be spending time on the stairs with those who don't get it. We will be going up to the top when we round up and down to the bottom when we round down. I will have to be creative and have additional ways for students to grasp the concept. I wonder if on a test others will allow them to use the stairs to do the rounding? Once they get it, then I will confuse them further by asking them to round to the nearest hundred. I already know that it will be a brand-new skill. Sigh.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home