Friday, June 30, 2006

You want FIVE pounds?

Well, we have returned from our trip to Louisville, KY, for the National Bible Bowl competition. My next few posts will be about the experience. While the kids were taking the test, quiz masters in a meeting, two parents and I went to a Kroger store to buy some food for the week. The store was less than a mile from downtown Louisville and not that large. I was amazed that in the bread section there was not one loaf of reduced carb or reduced calorie bread. I don't think they even carry that. When we arrived at the deli counter, the fun began. I requested 5 pounds of sliced ham. The man behind the counter could not believe that I wanted 5 pounds. He questioned me, then promptly told the other man behind the wall. The two of them discussed it for a minute or two, then he returned to me. He had 2.16 pounds of ham and that was all. Would that do? Right in front of me were several hams in the packages, but he said they were for sale. It was evident that he was not going to cut them, so I said yes to the 2.16 pounds. Wish you could have seen the look on his face when I asked for 5 pounds of sliced turkey? He held up a "small" piece and said that it was smoked and honey like the ham. I remarked that it was not ham, but turkey. He stumbled for a word to say, then said that it was indeed turkey, but he had less than 2 pounds of it. That figures. I guess that I am use to the unexpected in actions and reactions, because I just went along with him without becoming upset. One of the parents with me walked away to keep her cool while the other kept backing up the cart and biting his tongue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home